Today recognised as one of the United Kingdom’s most iconic footwear brands, Dr. Martens established its reputation created robust, practical boots with comfort and durability in mind. Embraced by the working classes upon their UK release in 1960, Dr. Martens were later picked up by punks rebelling against consumerist culture in the late ’60s and ’70s. Ever since Dr. Martens has become synonymous with rebellion, counterculture and the British working classes.
Here, AllSole offers a comprehensive guide to one of Britain’s best-loved shoemakers and answers your question about the brand and its shoes. Have more questions? Simply get in touch with us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter (@AllSole) and we will answer any more questions you may have.
Can I resole my Dr. Martens?
The iconic Dr. Martens AirWair sole is famous for its hardwearing durability and should only need to be resoled in extreme circumstances.
Since most Dr. Martens boots are one-piece moulded, they would need to be returned to the factory for an entire new sole to be stitched on. If your shoes require resoling due to sudden unexpected damage, we recommend contacting the brand with information about your shoes to see if they may be repaired.
Unfortunately Dr. Martens does not have the facility to re-sole its footwear. However if you are in the UK you can contact Timpsons Cobbler’s, who can replace Classic DM soles. Please contact Timpson’s Direct for more information on TEL: 0161 9466 219.
Where are Dr. Martens made in England?
Dr. Martens has produced its iconic shoes and boots from its Cobbs Lane factory in Wollaston, Northampton since 1960 and the factory remains in operation today.
Until recently all Dr. Martens shoes and boots were made in England at the brand’s Wollaston factory, but the brand now also outsources production to various factories around the world. The brand continues to operate its Wollaston factory to produce exclusive lines for the Dr. Martens Made in England collection.
How can you style Dr. Martens boots?
The iconic Dr. Martens boot is undoubtedly one of the most versatile footwear silhouettes of all time and has been styled by everyone from factory workers to punk rockers during its 57-year lifetime. More recently fashion influencers and bloggers have demonstrated the timeless quality of the Dr. Martens collection by styling them with everything from tailored suits to more casual jeans and tees.
For inspiration on how to style your Dr. Martens, check out our blogger style editorial which sees four influential bloggers style the collection or read our exclusive interview with blogger Bitchin’ Blonde which sees her style the classic 1460 boot.
Do Dr. Martens shoes run big, small or true-to-size?
Dr. Martens can differ in size and this depends on the last that the shoe has been made with, therefore sizing depends on the style you are buying.
We would suggest that you try the footwear on and if they are found to be unsuitable, we are more than happy to process a full refund for the shoes providing that the order is returned in the required condition. You can then place a new order for the correct size.
If you are between sizes, then you may benefit from using an insole in the larger size.
How can I waterproof my Dr. Martens?
Although Dr. Martens shoes and boots are not completely waterproof, they are designed to withstand the elements in moderation.
To enhance water-resistance for your Dr. Martens, we recommend applying a protective shoe oil such as Dr. Martens’ own Wonder Balsam. The Balsam is created from a unique blend of coconut oil, lanolin and beeswax which works to protect the leather against water, liquid and salt marks. The Wonder Balsam will also moisturise the leather and helps prevent cracking.
How should I polish my Dr. Martens?
- Clean the Shoes: Remove your laces, and begin to clean each section of your shoe using warm water and liquid soap, starting with the sole and working your way to the upper. To clean, use a damp cloth, shoe brush and toothbrush to access more difficult areas such as around the eyelets.
- Condition the Leather: Using a premium leather conditioner such as the Dr. Martens Wonder Basalm, massage the conditioner into your Dr. Martens using a cloth or sponge. This will help to prevent the leather from drying up, cracking and losing its durability, keeping the leather soft and comfortable to wear.
- Polish: Again using a quality polish matched to the colour of your leather (Dr. Martens produces its own range of polishes which are highly recommended), apply the polish to your shoes using a cloth to rub the polish onto the shoes in a circular motion that will warm the wax and make it easier to apply the polish.
- Leave to Rest: Once you have finished polishing your shoes, allow the polish to sit on your shoes for at least 15 minutes.
- Buff: Using a shoe brush, gently buff the leather all over to work the polish into the leather and remove any excess polish simultaneously.
- Shine: Using a clean nylon cloth and the mirror shine technique, buff the leather to a shine while also removing any dust and excess polish.
How long do Dr. Martens last?
Dr. Martens boots are famous for their durability and many of its wearers attest to their boots lasting for up to 20 years and even longer. When properly cared for, Dr. Martens boots can last a lifetime.
Indeed the brand is so sure of the quality, craftsmanship and robustness of its shoes that it now also offers the For Life collection, which comes with a lifetime guarantee.
How do I clean my Dr. Martens?
This would depend on the material that your footwear is made from.
Generally for leather Dr. Martens products we would recommend a fully clean, conditioning and polish every 3-4 months. Please see above for detailed instructions on this process.
Is the Dr. Martens AirWair sole slip resistant?
Dr. Martens products are oil, fat, acid, petrol and alkali resistant.
Are Dr. Martens unisex?
The Dr. Martens collection includes men’s, women’s and unisex footwear. Women’s footwear can be narrower than Men’s and Unisex footwear, just as Unisex footwear can come up larger.
What Dr. Martens should I get?
We stock a wide range of men’s, women’s and children’s Dr. Martens shoes here at AllSole, with a style perfect for everyone.
If you are yet to discover the Dr. Martens range, we recommend beginning with one of the brand’s most famous silhouettes such as the 1461 3-eye shoe or the 1460 boot.